COVID-19 Rules

Update as of May 14, 2021

Questa Farmers Market is a member of New Mexico Farmers Marketing Association; this makes our market eligible to accept SNAP and participate in Double Up Food Bucks (as well as other food benefit programs).

Farmers markets are considered essential businesses. During this global pandemic, farmers markets can be open in New Mexico, and can currently sell food, crafts, flowers, etc.

All vendors and shoppers must practice safety precautions appropriate to stopping the spread of COVID-19.

Farmers’ markets are sources of local, nutritious food and SNAP participants can use their food benefits, which must be used in-person. SNAP participants get double their $$ by shopping at a market that participates in the Double Up Food Bucks program (DUFB) for locally grown produce. Questa Farmers Market participates in DUFB.

Why shop local at Questa Farmers Market in 2021?
1. Get the freshest (and most nutritious) food and support your family’s health
2. Shop at an outdoor market
3. Support and strengthen your community
4. Easily use your SNAP and get double your $$
5. Easy to practice social distancing

To participate in the market this season:

  • Masks? The most current news (May 14, 2021) suggests a relaxing of the Mask mandate in outdoor settings. Here’s the update.
  • All vendors need to have sanitation supplies at their booths—hand sanitizer, hand-washing stations, gloves (for vendors), etc.
  • Prepared food vendors, as always, must have correct permits from the State posted in view every market day.
  • When eating at/near the market, do so in designated areas.
COVID-19 update from Office of Governor

March 3, 2021

Our office has recently reconsidered the restrictions for farmers’ markets. I am happy to provide some new guidance. Farmers markets are categorized as an essential businesses that is a “retail space” in the Public Health Order. Farmers’ markets are part of this category because they are businesses that generate more than one-third of their revenue from the sale of consumable food and beverages. If a farmers’ market generates more than one-third of their revenue from food and beverage goods, non-food vendors may participate within the same market. However, farmers’ markets are subject to the occupancy limits for essential businesses identified as retail spaces for the county they operate in.  Farmers’ markets must also comply with the applicable COVID Safe Practices.

At this time artisan markets that consist solely of non-food vendors may not operate. We are continually reevaluating the Public Health Order and hope to have guidance regarding those markets and events in the near future. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you.   


Maria S. Dudley
Associate General Counsel
Office of Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham
490 Old Santa Fe Trail, Suite 400 | Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501

These permits are from the New Mexico Environment Department. See more here, for Vendors.